BLACK LIVES MATTER--Important links and information
Wondering how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement and aid George Floyd's family and the protesters fighting for justice?
Take your pick of the links below:
- Continue to spread the word and have others sign this petition, which demands justice for George Floyd: https://www.justiceforbigfloyd.com/#petition
- There were FOUR (possibly FIVE) officers involved in his murder, and only two have been arrested and charged.
- On that note, continue to write to the mayor of Minneapolis, Jacob Frey: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/d189a2276e234cacb9f02db60dac0569
- If we put enough pressure on our politicians, they will HAVE to do something about this awful event!
- Here is a simple script I sent if you don't know what to say: "Mayor Frey, As an outraged citizen at the recent news of George Floyd's murder, I am demanding the arrests of the FOUR officers who initiated and were complicit in George Floyd's senseless death. They ALL need to be charged with murder for their illegal use of power as defenders of ALL citizens. Please work towards justice for Floyd's family and the entire African American community."
- Call County Attorney Michael Freeman at this number: 612-348-5550
- Say this script word for word on your call: "We're calling for County Attorney Michael Freeman to press murder charges against ALL other officers involved in George Floyd's murder and to release all protesters immediately."
- FYI: The other officers names who have yet to be arrested are: Thomas Lane, Tou Thao, and J. Alexander Kueng.
- Donate to the Official George Floyd Memorial Fund: https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd
- Your money will be used to benefit Floyd's family during this difficult time.
- Donate to the Minnesota Freedom Fund here: https://minnesotafreedomfund.org/donate
- In doing so, you are bailing out people jailed for protesting for justice for George Floyd.
- Donate to the Black Lives Matter movement: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ms_blm_homepage_2019
- George Floyd is one of recent hashtags, but there have been many, and unfortunately, there may be more. BLM's mission is to "eradicate white supremacy and build local power to intervene in violence inflicted on Black communities by the state and vigilantes. By combating and countering acts of violence, creating space for Black imagination and innovation, and centering Black joy, we are winning immediate improvements in our lives." A worthy and necessary cause!
- A SUPER IMPORTANT LINK- Campaign Zero: https://www.joincampaignzero.org/#campaign
- Campaign Zero calls on local, state, and federal lawmakers to take immediate action to adopt data-driven policy solutions to end this violence and hold police accountable. If you click the link, you can find your state and federal representatives and communicate with them on whichever media you choose (preferably every single one offered). We're talking email, twitter, facebook, phone call, and local office.
- You can see which laws are being considered or which have been passed in relation to police violence in your area, but remember, reform is not the answer. This site is a great source for LEARNING. They have dozens of important articles, which explain the history of the laws which allow for police brutality to occur to this day. They also offer studies on why over-policing actually encourages crime. We should work towards defunding the police, abolishing this racist institution, and rebuilding it.
- Read! Read for yourself, and read with your children and students. Buy books by Black authors and educate yourself on their history and experiences. All it takes is a simple Google search. Read fictional and non-fictional texts. Here are some favorite books I read to my students:
- A Kids Book About Racism (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnaltG5N8nE)
- Not My Idea: A Book About whiteness (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVsqrKpAizY)
- Something Happened in Our Town: A Child's Story About Racial Injustice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi7_Ps6Jf7Y)
If you have important links I can include, please share them in the comments section below! Stay safe everyone.